Before the tropical cyclone
- hot temperatures around the equator cause air to rise and sa water to evaporate. The rising air mixes with the evaporating
water and a cloud of warm moist air is formed.
- rising air spins clockwise this is a result of a coriolis effect which is caused by the earths rotation.
- air keeps rising and more air is sucked beneath the rising air and more moist air is added
- air currants cause the air to increase in speed. They suck the air futhur upwards and more air is added. a cyclone is
- as a cyclone grows it can be traked by satellites and radars,radio broadcasts can be sent out to start Civil Defence procedures.
Some places are told to evacuate - low lying areas. people are told to stay indoors and collect food and water supplies.
- people live in places that are greatly affected by cyclones eg. coastal regions of fiji.
During a tropical cyclone
- as a cyclone passes over an island, the island experiences rapidly increasing high winds usually over 117 km/hour.
This is followed by dark clouds and heavy rain. dense rain clouds also pass over head. the wind and rainfall are the most
intense around the eye of the cyclone.
- as the eye of the cyclone passes conditions of clear sky and calm wind occur, but after a short time high winds and torrential
rain come back but from the opposite direction
- wind and rain begin to decrease as the cyclone moves away from the island.
- erosion and flooding occur as a result of the heavy rain and the high sea level and wave height (storm surge). high winds
can damage trees and crops.
- to minimise loss of life, injury and damage to property. People in the most danger are evacuated. Medical stations are
set up. And for some people care is provided. Essential services such as water and sewerage are reconected
After the Cyclone event
- damage is accesed and people start to repair the damage
- aid arrives from other contries and help to clean up the damage.
- long term recovery such as repairing the damage to houses, airports, buildings and the replanting of crops begins.
this can take a long time and can be extremely expensive.